Watercolours, are a translucent water-soluble (as the name suggests) medium. Usually purchased either in small pans of colour or in tubes. Paints can be applied and used together regardless of how they are bought.
Watercolour Pencils are also available, making this wonderful medium even more diverse and accessible to everyone.
Gouache paints are simply opaque watercolours. Their opaqueness being due to a higher pigment content, not ground as finely as those in traditional watercolours.
Both watercolours and gouache generally dry to a mat finish. Gouache has a slightly textured surface when dry making it an ideal candidate for mixed media projects. The extra tooth being beneficial when using coloured pencil or graphite on top.
Opposite are the basic supplies I recommend if just getting started with watercolour or gouache ➡
Below is a small selection from the watercolour and gouache products I use ⬇
Some of the links on this page are my ArtDiscount and Amazon affiliate links – please feel free to click, browse and shop at no extra cost to you.
- Winsor & Newton Artist Watercolours – other sets & individual tubes available
- Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolours 45 colour set – smaller sets also available
- Daler Rowney Artist Watercolours – other sets & individual tubes available
- Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer Watercolour Pencils – smaller sets also available
- Caran d’Ache Aquarelle Water-soluble Pencils
- Winsor & Newton Designers Gouache – other sets & individual tubes available
- Daler Rowney Designers Gouache
- Caran d’Ache Gouache
- Loxley Gouache
- Arrtx Jelly Gouache
- Saunders Waterford Hotpress Watercolour Paper 140lb & 300lb
- Arches Hotpress Watercolour Paper 140lb
- Strathmore Toned Grey Mixed Media Paper 184lb
- Strathmore Visual Journey Coldpress Watercolour Paper 140lb
Brushes for Watercolour
- Rosemary & Co (wide selection of quality watercolour brushes)
- Winsor & Newton Synthetic Sable Professional Watercolour brushes
- Innovative synthetic bristle blend
- Range of sizes across seven shapes
- Excellent colour carrying capacity
- Resilient spring and shape retention
- FSC ® Certified
- Vegan friendly
Brushes for Gouache
- Royal and Langnickel Crafters Choice – other sizes & shapes available
- Daler Rowney System 3 Acrylic brushes – additional shapes & sizes available
- Various generic Golden Taklon brushes – whatever gets the job done
- Winsor & Newton Watercolour Masking Fluid
- Collapsible water cup
- Ceramic mixing palette
- Pocket Size Portable Painter – Plastic travel palette
- Plastic pipette for rehydrating watercolour pans
- Derwent Water-brushes for when travelling
- Sea salt and table salt for special effects
My ArtDiscount Affiliate Link – please feel free to click, browse & shop: ArtDiscount
Please note: Some of the links on this page are my ArtDiscount affiliate links.
You must be logged in to post a comment.