Oil Paints are traditionally a slow-drying paint that is easy to blend. Drying times can be decreased with the use of painting mediums such as Liquin. The paint’s viscosity can also be altered with the use of solvents such as turpentine.
Water Mixable Oil Paints, such as Winsor & Newton Artisan Oils, are also available. These substitute hazardous solvents for water, without any compromise on quality within the Winsor & Newton range. Especially suitable for artists working in a confined area or who share a workspace – less odour & cleans up with water. Note: They can be used with traditional oils but brushes would need to be cleaned with solvents thereafter.
I use a mixture of traditional oil and Artisan oil (depending on the colour required), using Liquin as my painting medium. I work in thin layers thus avoiding the fat over lean rule, and my layers are usually touch-dry the following day.
Opposite are the basic supplies I recommend if just getting started with oil paint ➡
Below is a small selection from the oil painting products I use ⬇
Some of the links on this page are my ArtDiscount and Amazon affiliate links – please feel free to click, browse and shop at no extra cost to you.
- Winsor & Newton Artist Oil Colour
- Winsor & Newton Winton Oil Colour – 48 colours available
- Winsor & Newton Artisan Water Mixable Oil Colour – 40 colours available
- Winsor & Newton Oil Colour Original Liquin
- Winsor & Newton Oil Colour Fine Detail Liquin
- Winsor & Newton Artisan Water Mixable Fast Drying Medium
- Fredrix Canvas Pad
- Arches Coldpress Oil Pad
- Clairefontaine Oil Pad
- Winsor & Newton Canvas Board – lots of sizes available
- Winsor & Newton Canvas Cotton Smooth – many sizes available
- Honsell Naturelle Linen Canvases
- Any suitable acrylic gesso primed surface really
- Winsor & Newton Synthetic Hog Hair
- Daler Rowney Golden Taklon – 10 piece set
- ProArte Sterling 201 – I use this set of 3 brushes with my oils
- Various Generic Synthetic Brushes – whatever gets the job done
- The Masters Brush Cleaner
- Masterson Artist Palette
- New Wave 12″ x 16″ Glass Palette (keep this inside the Masterson Artist Palette – perfect fit)
- Liquitex Palette Knives
- Paint Puck – Paint Brush Cleaner (suctioned to the bottom of a jar containing paint thinner)
- Painters Mahl Stick