Coloured Pencils, whether used on their own or with other materials in a mixed media project, can add a splash of colour to any design.
The abundance of coloured pencil brands now on the market can lead to many pitfalls, especially for newer artists, as pencil quality and abilities can vary quite a lot. Better to invest in a small set of a high quality brand than buy a large set of inexpensive ones.
All coloured pencils contain pigment, wax and oil. The wax and oil are used to bind the pigment. A higher percentage of wax and the pencil is usually softer and more opaque, a higher percentage of oil and the colour is often more translucent. However keep in mind that some colours are naturally more translucent or opaque than others.
Opposite are the basic supplies I recommend if just getting started with coloured pencil ➡
Below is a small selection from the coloured pencil products I use ⬇
Some of the links on this page are my ArtDiscount affiliate links – please feel free to click, browse and shop.
- Caran d’Ache Luminance available in 12, 20, 40, 76 & 100 pencil sets (individuals available too)
- Faber-Castell Polychromos available in 12, 24, 36, 60 & 120 pencil sets (individuals available too)
- Derwent Lightfast available in 12, 24, 36, 72 & 100 pencil sets (individuals available too)
- Lyra Rembrandt Polycolour
- Derwent Drawing Coloured Pencils 24 individual colours available
- Saunders Waterford Hotpress Watercolour Paper 140lb, 200lb & 300lb
- Arches Hotpress Watercolour Paper 140lb
- Daler Ingres Pastel Paper
- SAA Pastel Paper
- Clairefontaine Pastelmat Paper
- Various generic pastel papers
- Zest It Pencil Blend (odourless mineral spirit)
- Daler Rowney (odourless mineral spirit)
- Winsor & Newton Sansodor (odourless mineral spirit)
- Brush & Pencil Powder Blender (for use on sanded or gessoed surface)
- Winsor & Newton Putty Eraser
- Faber-Castell kneaded eraser
- Tombow Mono Zero
- Scotch Magic Tape
- Helix automatic sharpener (not electric)
- Staedtler hand held sharpener
- Kum Automatic Long Point
- Clairefontaine Glassine Paper – to rest my hand on while working.
- Derwent Pencil Extenders – you’ve paid for those pencils so use every bit.
- Brush & Pencil Touch Up Texture and Titanium White
- Brush & Pencil Textured Fixative
- Ceramic Slice Tool
- Angoo compartmented Pencil Case – ideal when you’re on the move.